Friday, April 27, 2007

ISYGF, Chapter 5: The Story So Far

Okay, here's the deal: It's not that I stopped reading Proust. Oh, no. As a matter of fact, I have passed the 200-page mile marker, so in your face, haters! Uh, if I were a big enough deal to have any. But my point is that I've been reading Proust; I just haven't been writing about him. The problem is twofold:

1.I don't want this thing to degrade into a never-ending series of “boy, the guy sure wrote some long-ass sentences, huh?” jokes, and it was getting hard to figure what else to write; and
2.I kept reading this thing in coffeeshops, or in bed, and I would have these really great (heh) insights, but by the time I was anywhere near my computer again, I'd have completely forgotten about them.

I've been thinking about it, and I know what I need to do. I've tried to figure out a way around it, I've tried to convince myself it's unneccessary, but it's no use: This is the way of the Proust blogger. This is the burden we carry.

And so it has come to this: I must take that last step that separates me from anyone remotely sane or normal. That's right: I no longer will be that pretentious snot in the coffeeshop reading Proust. No: I will be that pretentious snot in the coffeeshop reading Proust and taking notes.

I will never date again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr_Grant said...

But you can write the notes in your de rigeur (French!) Official Reporter's Notebook and pretend to be working. "Mais oui, I am writing the definitive think piece on Proust," you might say to yourself.

It's mainly to help you rationalize it. As far as dating goes, the ORN probably only attracts journalism groupies. I think those are called Journalism Students.

12:57 PM  
Blogger shutupproust said...

Actually, they're just called "journalists." It's a terribly incestuous profession--though not at my particular office, thankfully.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home